Kids Create! participants explore music, dance, theater, and visual arts all in one camp! Children entering grades K through 8 develop their imaginations and skills through drawing, painting, collage, movement, music, improvisational theater, and creative dramatics.
Each year’s camp features a central theme. This year’s theme is Exploration! Each individual camp session focuses on a different aspect of the camp theme and ends with a showcase performance and art exhibit for family and friends. Children are invited to participate in any combination of sessions.
This year’s theme: Exploration
- Session I Sea Exploration: July 29–August 2, 2019
- Session II Space Exploration: August 5–9, 2019
- Session III Jungle Exploration: August 12-16, 2019
- Eligibility: students entering grades K-8
- Camp Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Tuition: $490 for one session; add a second session, save $50; register for all three, save $150. Thus: first session tuition is $490; add a second session for $440; add a third session for $390. Students may choose to attend any combination of sessions.
- Discounts: Rutgers Faculty & Staff, Refer a Friend, Sibling, Multiple Session. Learn more about fees and discounts here.
- Early Drop-Off & After Care: $50 per session for Early Drop-Off or After Care
- $100 per session for both Early Drop-Off and After Care
Session I: July 17, 2019
Session II: July 24, 2019
Session III: July 31, 2019
Descriptions of Kids Create Activities!
- Music: Students make music together in an age-appropriate, fun manner using their voices and percussion instruments. Musical selections are drawn from a variety of time periods and world cultures. Musicianship skills encompassing the fundamentals of music theory and ear training are built into music instruction.
- Creative movement: Students learn how to express themselves and their creative ideas through choreographed movement and improvisation. These classes are designed to include both girls and boys and require no prior movement or dance experience. Creative movement training leads naturally into the study of a variety of dance forms. It is also a mode of physical recreation that strengthens mind, body, and spirit providing children with a healthy ‘release’ from the challenges of day-to-day life while promoting positive socialization.
- Visual arts: Students explore the role of senses, emotions, creativity, and intellect through the visual arts. Our art classes focus on cultivating fundamental drawing and painting skills through developmentally appropriate project-based assignments to inspire young minds and elicit creative journeys.
- Theater: Creative dramatics classes are specially designed to emphasize personal creativity as students develop skills in voice and speech, character development, creative expression through movement, and solo and group improvisation. Students and faculty work together to develop self-confidence, team/group dynamic, body, and spatial awareness.
Instructors are drawn from the teaching staff at the Mason Gross School of the Arts Extension Division at Rutgers University.
Music and movement activities take place at the Mason Gross School of the Arts’ main location on Douglass Campus. Visual arts activities will take place in the Civic Square Building in downtown New Brunswick, home to the Mason Gross School of the Arts Visual Arts Department.