Kids Create! participants explore music, dance, theater and visual arts all in one camp. Children entering grades K through 8 develop their imaginations and skills through drawing, painting, collage, movement, music, improvisational theater and creative dramatics.
Each year’s camp features a central theme. Individual camp sessions each focus on a different aspect of the camp theme. This year’s theme is Imagine That! Session I curriculum is centered on fairy tales and mythology; session II curriculum is centered on fantasy and science fiction; session III curriculum is centered on time travel. Each session ends with a showcase performance and exhibit for family and friends. Children are invited to participate in any combination of sessions.
This year’s theme: Imagine That!
- Session I: July 30–August 3, 2018: Fairy Tales and Mythology
- Session II: August 6–10, 2018: Fantasy and Science Fiction
- Session III: August 13-17, 2018: Time Travel
- Eligibility: students entering grades k-8
- Camp Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Tuition: $500 for one session; $100 off of tuition for each additional session you add. Thus: first session tuition is $500; add a second session for $400; add a third session for $400. Students may choose to attend any combination of sessions.
- Discounts: Rutgers Faculty & Staff, Refer a Friend, Sibling, Multiple Session. Learn more about fees and discounts here.
- Early Drop-Off & After Care: $50 per session for Early Drop-Off or After Care
- $100 per session for both Early Drop-Off and After Care
Registration Period: December 19, 2017 – August 8, 2017
- The camp schedule can be found here
Descriptions of classes taught during Kids Create!
- Music: Students make music together in an age-appropriate, fun manner using their voices and a variety of hand-percussion instruments. Musical selections are drawn from a variety of musical eras and world cultures. Musicianship skills encompassing the fundamentals of music theory and ear training are built into music instruction.
- Creative movement: Creative movement classes teach students how to express themselves and their creative ideas through choreographed movement and improvisation. These classes appeal to girls and boys; they require no prior movement or dance experience. Creative movement training leads naturally into the study of a variety of dance forms. It is also a form of physical recreation that strengths mind, body, and spirit providing children with a healthy ‘release’ from the challenges of day-to-day life while promoting positive socialization.
- Visual arts: Students explore the role of senses, emotions, creativity, and intellect through the visual arts. Since everyone develops differently, our art classes focus on developing core skills – drawing and painting – through project-based assignments that inspire young minds and their creative journeys.
- Theater: Creative dramatics classes are specially designed to emphasize personal creativity as students develop skills in voice and speech, character development, creative expression through movement, and solo and group improvisation. Students and faculty work together to develop self-confidence, team/group dynamic, body and spatial awareness.
Instructors are drawn from the teaching staff at the Mason Gross School of the Arts Extension Division at Rutgers University.
All music and movement activities take place at the Mason Gross School of the Arts’ main location on Douglass Campus. All visual arts activities will take place in the Civic Square Building in downtown New Brunswick, NJ, home to the Mason Gross School of the Arts Visual Arts Department.